San Francisco-based non-profit organization, Arts of Fashion Foundation, celebrated the 10th anniversary of its annual student design competition and symposium this weekend, presenting a body of innovative work from students around the world.
Held for the first time at the San Francisco Art Institute, the picturesque campus served as the ideal backdrop for a weekend of inspired creativity. The two-day event featured fashion lectures by designers, educators, and industry experts—including the CFDA’s Steven Kolb and Arts of Fashion founder Nathalie Doucet—along with fashion exhibitions by emerging designers.
The main exhibit, held outdoors in the school’s Spanish courtyard, displayed 24 men’s and women’s wear silhouettes produced by students who participated in the four-week Arts of Fashion Summer MasterClass in Paris. The women’s wear pieces, first shown last summer at the Musee des Arts Decoratifs in Paris, incorporated intricate pleating techniques that students learned from working under master pleat-maker Gerard Lognon. As a third-generation pleat-maker, Lognon has worked with Hermes—for the Plisse scarf collection—as well as couture houses such as Dior and Chanel.
Also exhibited were the 60 primarily avant-garde works entered in the non-profit’s annual international design competition, which encourages new designers to innovate and push conventional boundaries of fashion. Winners of this year’s contest, for which students created original designs with the guiding theme of “tension,” receive internships at renowned fashion design houses in the U.S., France, and India for four weeks to four months.
Announced at the awards ceremony on Sunday were this year’s winners. The list below includes their respective schools and awards:
- Elizabeth Barbaro (Whitehouse Institute of Design / Sydney) – AoF Paris summer MasterClass
- Alicia Declerck (Polimoda / Firenze) – Manish Arora Award
- Jo Eun A (Daegu University) – AoF Paris summer MasterClass
- Miranda Kaloudis (Inst. Fashion-Design – Basel) – Nice Collective Award
- Pavla Podsednikova (Academy of Arts, Arch. & Design – Prague) – Jerome Dreyfuss Award
- Maxime Rappaz (Haute Ecole d’Art et de Design – Geneva) – Anne Valerie Hash Award
- Xiaotian Zhang (Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology) – AoF Paris summer MasterClass